As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.

You can stay in another EU country for up to 3 months without registering there but you may need to report your presence. The only requirement is to hold a valid national identity card or passport.

To obtain a long-term residence permit, you need to provide the following documents and complete the following steps depending on whether you are:


  • Employed or Self-Employed
  • Insured or Self-Funded
  • Studying in Bulgaria
  • EU National who is a Family Members of a EU National
  • Non-EU National who is a Family Member of a EU National

Permanent Residence Permit

If you have resided legally in Bulgaria for a period of five years based on a consecutive long-term residence permit, you and your family members are entitled to a permanent residence permit.

To obtain a permanent residence permit, you need to provide the following documents and complete the following steps:

  • Permanent Residence Permit

Residence permit for non-EU citizens:

The requirements for a residence permit are highly prescriptive and applicants who do not fully comply with the provisions of the Foreign Nationals in the Republic of Bulgaria Act are routinely refused. Therefore, we advise all applicants precisely what requirements need to be met for the specific residence type they are applying for, including the paperwork that needs to be submitted and how these must be presented.

Foreign nationals who would like to obtain temporary residence in Bulgaria need to apply for a long-term Visa D. The Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act is very flexible allowing a Visa D to be granted on more than 20 grounds.

The most popular grounds for obtaining a Visa D and temporary residence in Bulgaria are as follows:

  1. Opening of a Trade Representative Office of a foreign company in Bulgaria;
  2. Incorporation of a Bulgarian limited company employing at least 10 local citizens;
  3. Investment in real-estate of 312,000 EUR.